Close up  of lap top keys with a lock.

Health Records

Access to and disclosure of patient records is governed primarily by the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA) and to a lesser extent, by the Public Hospitals Act (PHA). At the South Huron Hospital Association (SHHA), the procedures for processing requests for personal health information must be in accordance with this legislation.

How Do I Obtain a Copy of my Health Record?

If you are looking for outpatient laboratory results, you can access them through this Dynacare Plus link.

Alternatively, you may be able to access the information you are looking for by signing up for, or logging into, your MyChart account. MyChart is a free, secure, online tool that provides you with 24-hour access to your health records from hospitals in Southwest Ontario. For more information, please visit the MyChart website through this link.

Lastly, you can request a copy of your own health record by completing our Request for Access to Personal Health Information form . This form can then be submitted to our Health Records department by mail, fax, or delivered in person.

All requests must be acted upon within a 30-day period. In the event your request is not possible within that time frame, or it is denied, a written notice will be provided to you.

Please Note: If your health record is available at the South Huron Hospital Association (SHHA) as well as the South Huron Medical Centre (SHMC) and requested from both SHHA and SHMC, two separate releases will occur. Only the applicable information will be released from each site and a separate signed consent will be attached to the applicable chart.

What is the Cost of a Health Record Request?

In order to recover the costs associated with your request to obtain a copy of your health record, as per PHIPA, SHHA has the right to charge a reasonable fee. The fee is determined by the size of the file, and the fee must be received before the health records will be released.

Can I Obtain a Copy of the Health Record of a Deceased Individual?

To request a copy of the health record of a deceased individual, please complete our Request for Access to Personal Health Information form (linked above). You also need to provide:

  • A copy of the deceased individual’s will, naming you as the executor or executrix
  • In the absence of a will, a letter notarized by a lawyer that confirms your legal signing authority

These items can then be submitted to our Health Records department by mail, fax, or delivered in person.

Health Records & Privacy Officer Contact Information

Health Records Clerk

T: 519-235-2700 ext. 5171

F: 519-235-3405

Privacy Officer

T: 519-235-2700 ext. 5110

F: 519-235-3405

Mailing Address:

Attention: Health Records and/or Privacy Officer

South Huron Hospital Association

24 Huron St. W

Exeter, ON N0M 1S2